See our Photographs page for samples of current and past exhibits held at the historical society.
Some of our current exhibits include:
- medical office equipment, instruments and supplies of Dr. Albert Snay of Goffstown, and Dr. Alonzo Carr (these are always on display)
- nursing memorabilia from the Moore General Hospital of the Grasmere section of Goffstown
- military uniforms from various eras
- a collection of “Early Lighting Devices” (currently on display on the 2nd floor)
- antique fans and women’s accessories collection
- children’s furniture and toys from the past
- women’s clothing (from the Cleveland family) dated late to mid-19th century
- spinning wheels, washing machines and other old household devices that women used in their daily lives
- ice harvesting equipment (from the Hart family) used before the days of modern refrigeration to provide Goffstown residents ice for their “ice boxes”
- an old-fashioned grinding stone (donated by Tom Lamson) and other equipment and tools used by local people
- “Once Upon a Time” display of artifacts from early inns, boarding houses and other establishments
- and much, much, more!
Our most valuable artifacts are stored in a climate controlled section of our society building. Our collection includes articles of clothing, signs, equipment, documents, and other memorabilia from Goffstown’s past.
Genealogical information comes in many forms. One of the most unusual ones is found inside an old box that held knifes used in molding by the Kendall-Hadley company in Goffstown (also known as Sash and Blind, that is no longer in business). The workers kept much of the town’s “goings-on” documented here (whereas not much paper available back then they used this wooden box to write down what happened).
Sample of “town history” in the Moulding Knife cabinet
We are currently completing a project to compile a list of burials in the Goffstown cemeteries. This has been a true “labor of love.” Some of this information will soon be available in the Virtual Library section of this web site.
Other “documents available at the society include:
- logs/registers of old hotels
- books of photographs by: Blackman, including those of Main Street, country roads, North Mast Street, Parker Station, Gorham Pond Road, South Mast Street, Mast Road, Shirley Hill andKennedy Hill, Elm Street, Grasmere, Center Street, Henry Bridge, Goffstown Back Road, Paige Hill Road, Locust Hill Road, Glen Lake, and more.
- albums full of old post cards donated to the historical society by Arthur J. Grant.
- albums of photos donated by Dr. Albert Snay filled with large variety of photos.
- a very large collection of “Old Scrap Books” different people have compiled and donated to the historical society over the years.
- and much more!
HISTORIES & GENEALOGIES:
- our history and genealogical book collection includes several town history books, including those of Goffstown, New Boston, and Weare, NH
- old family bibles
- Town Reports from 1851 up to present 2005 (which include births, deaths and marriages for each of those years).
NOTE: “Look-ups” are available by contacting the society’s President.
Donations are always welcome.